Adapting this Family Circle recipe for solar cooking was simple, we just doubled the baking time and it came out perfectly.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups Gala apple, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preheat your Solavore Sport. Coat an 8-inch-square or 11x7 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
For the cake, whisk first 6 ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a hand mixer for 2 minutes. Beat in egg and buttermilk. Slowly add flour mixture, beating until just combined. Fold in apple. Transfer to prepared baking dish, spreading into an even layer.
In another bowl, combine all streusel topping ingredients with hands, breaking up butter into smaller pieces. Scatter over batter.
Bake uncovered for about 80-90 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.