Once in awhile you find a recipe that works so much better in a solar oven than it ever could on a stovetop. This is one of those recipes, the slow cooked flavor is truly delicious. If you can find canned roasted tomatoes, it adds even deeper flavor. We made this as accompaniment for tamales on New Years Eve; just be sure to get it started early if you're making it in the winter. This side dish needs about four hours to cook.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups raw white rice, such as jasmine
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium broth or stock (chicken or vegetable), or water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, medium dice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Like our solar cooked brown rice recipe, we begin by sautéing the rice in the olive oil on the conventional stovetop until it starts to brown just slightly. If you are cooking solar-only, stir the rice and olive oil in your Graniteware pot and let it cook in a preheated oven for 20 minutes before adding the additional ingredients.
Place the rice in your Graniteware pot, then add all additional ingredients. Stir everything together and cover. Place in the preheated Solavore Sport and let it cook undisturbed for approximately 4 hours.