- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
Set the Solavore Sport outside to preheat.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add butter and cut it in to the flour mixture with a pastry cutter until the pieces of butter are pea-sized. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and the egg yolk. Slowly pour the buttermilk mixture in to the flour mixture. Mix until combined. Add in chocolate and cherries and stir gently.
Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead gently to combine. Shape the dough into a circle about one inch thick. Cut the dough in to 8 pie-shaped pieces.
Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and arrange the scones on the sheet.
Bake the scones in the solar oven for 1 to 1.5 hours.