We made the filling from Love and Lemons, and adapted the rest of the recipe for solar cooking. We did not pre-cook the peppers, just give them a long slow bake in the sun. This dish is light and frshe tasting, it makes a great side or main dish.
- ½ cup uncooked orzo
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 kale leaves, stems removed, chopped
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- juice and zest of 1 small lemon
- big handful of chopped fresh mint
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- white cheddar or pepper jack cheese
Place the Solavore Sport in the sun to preheat.
Cook the orzo according to package directions for al dente doneness. Prepare the peppers by cutting out the stems and leaving a two inch hole in the top. Remove seeds.
Prepare your filling. In a large glass bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, kale and chickpeas. When your orzo is al dente, drain it and add it (warm) to the bowl and toss. Stir in the feta cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest, mint, red pepper flakes and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Stuff your peppers with the filling and place in your graniteware pot. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese. Cover your pot and place it in the oven. Cook time is flexible on this recipe, You want your peppers cooked and the filling heated through. Let it cook, covered, for between 1.5 and 2 hours.