This delicious, hearty soup is from thewanderlustkitchen.com. In addition to a complex spice mixture, the recipe calls for apples, which bring a nice fruitiness and make it a perfect Fall meal.
- 1/4 cup butter (or olive oil for vegan)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 red jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced ginger root
- 2 small firm apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Roasted cashews for garnish
- Chopped cilantro and/or scallions for garnish
- Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and jalapeno, then saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onions have softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, apples, and diced tomatoes to the pot. Saute for another 3 minutes, then add in all of the spices and toss to coat. Transfer all ingredients to your Graniteware pot. Add the lentils and broth and stir well.
- Cover the pot and place in your pre-heated Solavore Sport. This is a set-it-and-forget-it slow cooking recipe. Let the soup cook without reflectors for 4-6 hours.
- Puree about 75% of the ingredients using either an immersion blender or by transferring a portion of the contents to the bowl of a standard blender. Leave some of the chunks whole, as it adds a nice texture and consistency to the soup. Return the soup to the pot if needed, then stir in the coconut milk. Taste, and adjust salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve topped with cashew and scallions along with naan bread for dipping.
For more solar oven recipes check out our blog.